- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
Park District seeks Zip Line Canopy Tour for Alpine Hills
Online Staff Report
In spring 2011, the Hansberger family donated a 52-acre facility to the Rockford Park District Foundation; the property is now known as Alpine Hills Adventure Park & Golf Center, 4402 Larson Ave., Rockford.
The Park District envisions turning the facility into a year-round family adventure park with summer activities such as golf, and winter activities that could include a toboggan chute.
Earlier this year, the Rockford Park District held a focus group to gather feedback about the development plans and provide design ideas. At this meeting, residents asked about the possibility of a zip line.
The Alpine Hills Adventure Park & Golf Center design team discussed the idea, and deemed the park’s terrain to be conducive for a Zip Line Canopy Tour, which could consist of multiple zip lines, and tower with suspension bridges.
Laura Williamson, deputy director of capital planning and asset management for the district, said: “This feature would be very complementary to the other activities being planned. We presented the option to our Board of Commissioners tonight to gather more feedback.”
The Rockford Park District would like to engage an outside vendor to design, build, operate and fund the Zip Line Canopy Tour, along with paying the district a lease fee for use of land and to assist in paying for park maintenance.
The first phase of construction at Alpine Hills Adventure Park & Golf Center is under way, and includes the five-hole golf course, which is scheduled to re-open next year.
Posted Sept. 11, 2013