- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
TASC to host Sept. 14 Recovery Rally on the Rock
Rockford’s Fifth Annual Recovery Rally on the Rock will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 14, on the banks of the Rock River at the Madison Street Trolley Station.
This popular community event celebrates recovery from alcohol and drug addiction while raising awareness of local resources to prevent and treat substance use and mental health conditions.
Co-sponsored by TASC, Inc. (Treatment Alternatives for Safe Communities), Recovery Rally on the Rock is part of Recovery Month, a national observance led by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The observance raises awareness of mental and substance use disorders, celebrates individuals in long-term recovery, and acknowledges the work of prevention, treatment and recovery support services.
“It is important that the momentum we’ve established at these events is carried over to tomorrow, and the next day, week and year,” said Bridget Kiely, administrator of TASC’s services in northern Illinois. “We all have the potential to make a difference. The reality is that behavioral health is essential to health, prevention works, treatment is effective and people recover.”
The 2013 rally will take place at the Trolley Station near the Riverview Icehouse. It is a free, family-friendly event that will include music and inspiring words from local community members. A range of community resources also will be offered.
In addition to TASC, sponsors of the Fifth Annual Recovery Rally on the Rock include Culver’s, the Rockford Park District, Rosecrance, Remedies and Heartland Community Church’s Celebrate Recovery Program. For more about TASC or the Recovery Rally, contact Kate Craig at (815) 965-1106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Sept. 11-17, 2013, issue