- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
Translator/communication assistant joins diocese
Margarita Mendoza is the newest member of the The Office of Communications and Publications for the Catholic Diocese of Rockford.
Mendoza began her duties Sept. 3, in which she is responsible for translating documents from English to Spanish and Spanish to English on behalf of the diocese as well as assisting the director of communication with media relations, outreach through the diocesan newspaper, radio and television, and social media throughout the diocese.
Mendoza is a native of Cali, Colombia. She earned an undergraduate degree in social communication and journalism and a graduate degree in organizational communication at Universidad Autónoma de Occidente in Cali, Colombia. In Colombia, she was assistant editor of Prensa Monderna Impresores, was a proofreader for Colombia’s secretary of education, and was a reporter and assistant producer for Procívica TV.
After coming to the U.S. in 2003, she became director of Panamericano Hoy Newspaper in Elgin and organized the first Latino Film Festival in Elgin.
Margarita and her husband, Enrique, have three daughters and are parishioners at St. Thomas More Parish in Elgin and also serve at St. Mary Parish in Elgin. She is a part of the Christ Renews His Parish Program at St. Thomas More.
“I am excited to put my experience in communication, Spanish and my faith to work in the service of the transmission of the Catholic identity and messages of our diocese, particularly for the growing Latino community,” Mendoza said.
From the Sept. 11-17, 2013, issue