- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Chicago Brass Band begins Mendelssohn Mainstage season Sept. 20
The Chicago Brass Band will begin the 2013-14 Mendelssohn Mainstage season at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Sept. 20, at Court Street Methodist Church, 215 N. Court St., Rockford.
Chicago flair meets British brass band tradition with the Chicago Brass Band, a 30-piece brass and percussion ensemble. The band, led by six-time NABBA championship conductor Colin Holman, is celebrating its 10th season this year.
This international award-winning ensemble is a member of the North American Brass Band Association. In its first decade, the Chicago Brass Band has won the NABBA Championship, competed in the inaugural World Music Contest in the Netherlands, participated in the renowned Whit Friday Marches in England, and twice been a featured ensemble in front of 40,000 brass fans at the Great American Brass Festival.
The band’s favorite activity, however, remains dazzling audiences in Chicago, one of the world’s premiere cities for brass musicianship. The band has particularly enjoyed recent performances with soloists drawn from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s celebrated brass section, including Charlie Vernon, Gene Pokorny and Mark Ridenour.
Admission is $25 for adults, $10 for students up to age 25. Proceeds will benefit the musicians and the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center. Visit www.mendelssohnpac.org or call (815) 964-9713.
Posted Sept. 18, 2013