- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Entrants sought for Oct. 13 Crossroads Blues Challenge
Sunday, Oct. 13, Crossroads Blues Society will present the 2013 Crossroads Blues Challenge (CBC) at Adriatic Live Music Bar, 327 W. Jefferson St., Rockford. The winner of the challenge will be submitted to compete in the International Blues Challenge (IBC) in Memphis, Tenn., Jan. 21-25, 2014.
The rules are as follow:
1. Open to all bands who live within 150 miles of Rockford AND who have played within 50 miles of Rockford at least twice in the last year (September 2012 through August 2013).
2. Entrants must complete the entry application and provide a photograph of the band.
3. Entries must be accompanied with a $25 entry fee, which will be returned only if the band is not selected to compete in the CBC.
4. Entries must be accompanied by a three-song sampler of the band. If more than three songs are provided, the first three songs on the entry sampler will be used.
5. The band must be willing and able to perform in the CBC Sunday, Oct. 13, at the Adriatic Bar in Rockford and at the IBC held in Memphis, Tenn., Jan. 21-25, 2014. If the winning band does not compete in Memphis, they will forfeit and refund all travel expenses raised by Crossroads Blues Society back to Crossroads.
6. If a band was ever nominated for a Blues Music Award (or the former W.C. Handy Award), the act or band is ineligible to compete in the CBC and IBC.
7. A band is limited to two consecutive appearances at the IBC and must then sit out at least one year before being eligible to compete again. Any act under the same name will not be allowed to compete three consecutive years.
8. An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity. A musician cannot compete in the Band Division and the Solo/Duo Division, even if that musician represents a different affiliate in each. A band and its members can only be nominated by one affiliate per year.
9. The CBC and IBC adhere to the following criteria for what constitutes a band: any act with three or more musicians. Vocalists are counted as musicians for the purpose of this competition. Both electric and acoustic instruments are allowed.
10. The signature on the entry form signifies that the above rules are understood and will be complied with. Failure to perform in Memphis, as agreed, to will result in immediate disqualification and forfeiture of all privileges and prizes.
The winners of the 2013 CBC (one band) will receive the following:
1. The total of all entry fees received for the 2013 CBC.
2. A paid engagement at either the 2014 Field of Blues Festival in Loves Park, Ill., or the 2014 Byron Crossroads Blues Festival in Byron, Ill. The band will paid at $600.
3. Crossroads will assist with other fund-raising efforts to be agreed to after the CBC.
All judges’ decisions are final. An entry form must be submitted with entry fee by Sept. 20; mail to Crossroads Blues Society, c/o 1043 Kingsway Lane, Byron, IL 61010. Include with the $25 fee the band name, a list of band members and what instruments they play, and contact information, which should include the band leader, their phone, a second contact and phone, a primary e-mail address and the band’s website. Go to http://crossroadsbluessociety.blogspot.com/2013/08/coming-soon-any-interest.html for more info or call Steve Jones at (779) 537-4006.
Posted Sept. 18, 2013