- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
Golden Gloves Boxing event at Lombardi Club
Rockford’s Patriots Boxing Club will welcome some of the Midwest’s best, nationally-ranked boxers to a Golden Gloves Boxing event Saturday, Sept. 21. The event will be at the Lombardi Club, 209 Olive St., Rockford, with doors opening at 6 p.m., and fights starting at 7 p.m.
One week after Floyd “Money” Mayweather takes on Saul “Canelo” Alverez, boxing fans can experience the thrill of the sport live in Rockford. The event will feature males and females competing in lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight classes. Local boxers include Alejandra Mercado (20), Kalen Sumner (26), Malek Shaabneh (19), Tony Riveria (18) and Huliano Lugo (9). United States National Golden Gloves champion Saul Cano will be fighting, as well as many Chicago Golden Gloves champions.
The event is being organized and hosted by the Patriots Boxing Club of Rockford. Owner and coach Jimmy Goodman is anticipating a sold-out event.
“This is a great opportunity to come and watch some outstanding boxers display their talent,” said Goodman. “We have had boxers compete here in town at previous events that are now competing at the Olympic level, as well as the boxing capital of the world, Las Vegas. You never know when you are watching the next Floyd Mayweather or Oscar De La Hoya.”
Only 200 tickets will be sold. Admission to the event is $15 in advance and $20 the day of event. Ringside sponsorships are available for $200 a table.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call (815) 988-6745.
From the Sept. 18-24, 2013, issue