- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Golden Gloves Boxing event at Lombardi Club
Rockford’s Patriots Boxing Club will welcome some of the Midwest’s best, nationally-ranked boxers to a Golden Gloves Boxing event Saturday, Sept. 21. The event will be at the Lombardi Club, 209 Olive St., Rockford, with doors opening at 6 p.m., and fights starting at 7 p.m.
One week after Floyd “Money” Mayweather takes on Saul “Canelo” Alverez, boxing fans can experience the thrill of the sport live in Rockford. The event will feature males and females competing in lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight classes. Local boxers include Alejandra Mercado (20), Kalen Sumner (26), Malek Shaabneh (19), Tony Riveria (18) and Huliano Lugo (9). United States National Golden Gloves champion Saul Cano will be fighting, as well as many Chicago Golden Gloves champions.
The event is being organized and hosted by the Patriots Boxing Club of Rockford. Owner and coach Jimmy Goodman is anticipating a sold-out event.
“This is a great opportunity to come and watch some outstanding boxers display their talent,” said Goodman. “We have had boxers compete here in town at previous events that are now competing at the Olympic level, as well as the boxing capital of the world, Las Vegas. You never know when you are watching the next Floyd Mayweather or Oscar De La Hoya.”
Only 200 tickets will be sold. Admission to the event is $15 in advance and $20 the day of event. Ringside sponsorships are available for $200 a table.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call (815) 988-6745.
From the Sept. 18-24, 2013, issue