- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
RSO announces new orchestra members
Music Director Steve Larsen and the Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) have announced the appointments of five new members, as follow, for the 2013/14 season:
Colleen Corning, clarinet — Corning served as principal clarinetist with the Chicago College of Performing Arts Symphony and the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra. She performs with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Chicago Civic Orchestra.
Matthew Gaunt, principal tuba — Gaunt has performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. He performs with multiple chamber ensembles, including Chicago Chamber Musicians, Rhythm and Brass, Burning River Brass, and Proteus 7.
Derek Handley, cello — Handley performs with multiple orchestras including the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra, South Bend Symphony Orchestra, and the Milwaukee Symphony. He is the principal cello at the Lira Symphony.
Chris Polen, bass — Polen has held positions with the Aspen Philharmonic Orchestra and Carmel Symphony Orchestra. He performs with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and is the principal bass of the Civic Orchestra of Chicago.
Eric Pudluski, violin — Pudluski is a violinist with the Lake Forest Symphony Orchestra, Peoria Symphony Orchestra, Illinois Symphony Orchestra and the Oistrach Symphony Orchestra. He served as concertmaster of the DePaul University Symphony Orchestra and has held positions with the Civic Orchestra of Chicago as well as the Beethoven Festival Orchestra.
The RSO, which performs at the Coronado Performing Arts Center in downtown Rockford, begins its season with its Opening Night Gala Saturday, Sept. 21. Visit rockfordsymphony.com or call (815) 965-0049 for more details.
From the Sept. 18-24, 2013, issue