- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Thanks to Oregon Area Rock River Sweep supporters
On behalf of the Oregon Area Rock River Sweep Planning Committee, we would like to thank all the sponsors and volunteers who made the Fifth Annual Oregon Area Rock River Sweep a success. The sponsors who donated supplies, services and time include the Oregon Park District, Ogle County Solid Waste Management Department, American Rivers, RockRiverSweep.org and the Ogle County Sheriff’s Department. Thanks, also, to this newspaper for helping to promote the event.
Thirty-five volunteers and staff showed up Sept. 7 to help clean a 7-mile stretch of the river in an effort to preserve the health and ecosystem of the Rock River and to enhance its beauty. This included several people who “swept” the river by boat or canoe. With the help of Oregon Park District and Ogle County Sheriff’s Department employees and their trucks, volunteers were able to round up approximately 950 pounds of waste. Some noteworthy items collected were a bicycle frame, mattress springs, a garbage disposal, two barrels and three tires.
Volunteers went through each and every bag of trash to ensure that any recyclable materials were separated for recycling, and the remainder was disposed of properly. More than half of the waste collected was recycled. The most common type of waste picked up was plastic bottles.
We thank all those involved for their efforts and hope to see you next year! If you would like to be involved in the planning of next year’s event, please contact one of us.
Steve Rypkema, Mark Nehrkorn, Kayla Raper and Angela Mahoney
Oregon Area Rock River Sweep Committee members
From the Sept. 18-24, 2013, issue