- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Hip Hop Congress presents basketball tournament Sept. 28
The Hip Hop Congress of Rockford (RHHC) is expanding its community-involved events to include a basketball tournament from noon to 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 28, at Booker Washington Center, 524 Kent St., Rockford.
The tournament is the first event of its kind for RHHC and still encompasses all of its core values within the hip hop culture.
The tournament will be double-elimination and will consist of three-on-three, half-court basketball games. At least 16 teams will be competing for a $300 cash prize and “RKFD” hats from the popular local clothing line and sponsor, RKFD Collection.
Teams can register for the tournament by going to www.rockfordhhc.org/allcity and filling out the registration form. There is a $30 registration fee for teams, with a maximum of four players per team, and only for ages 16 and older. Players can pay online at the registration link, or teams may also sign up on the day of the event.
The event is absolutely free to the public, and will feature food provided by Anjan’s Eats, a popular food vendor among RHHC events and at Rockford City Market. Beverages will be sold by Booker Washington Community Center. Bourbon-glazed pork chop sandwiches, brats, cakes, hot dogs, fries, water and soda for sale.
Music will also be a special part of this event. Live DJs will keep up with the games with kid-friendly tunes and special performances from popular Rockford hip hop artists.
THE RKFD All-City Basketball Tournament will begin at noon, Sept. 28. The event will end around 6 p.m., at which time, the winner of the tournament will be presented with the $300 cash prize by RHHC and also their own RKFD hats by RKFD Collection. In the event of rain, the tournament is scheduled for noon-6 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 29.
Posted Sept. 25, 2013