- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
Rockton native among top college journalists
College journalist and Rockton, Ill., native Lucy Dieckhaus was named among the top 10 college reporters in the nation in September. She is a finalist for “Story of the Year” from the Associated Collegiate Press for her coverage last year of the Student Government Association featured in The Maroon, the Loyola University New Orleans student newspaper.
Dieckhaus, a junior in the Loyola School of Mass Communication and the current news editor of The Maroon, is recognized along with students from large journalism schools including University of California Los Angeles, Indiana University, Louisiana State University, Fordham University, Syracuse University and Virginia Tech.
Dieckhaus, who hopes to pursue a career in broadcast journalism after graduation, credits her education with helping her blossom as a standout reporter.
“Loyola’s sense of community has created an atmosphere for me that has been vital in the positive progression of my journalism skills,” she said. “I would not be the journalist I am today if I had not stepped into The Maroon newsroom two years ago.”
Posted Sept. 25, 2013