- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Rockton native among top college journalists
College journalist and Rockton, Ill., native Lucy Dieckhaus was named among the top 10 college reporters in the nation in September. She is a finalist for “Story of the Year” from the Associated Collegiate Press for her coverage last year of the Student Government Association featured in The Maroon, the Loyola University New Orleans student newspaper.
Dieckhaus, a junior in the Loyola School of Mass Communication and the current news editor of The Maroon, is recognized along with students from large journalism schools including University of California Los Angeles, Indiana University, Louisiana State University, Fordham University, Syracuse University and Virginia Tech.
Dieckhaus, who hopes to pursue a career in broadcast journalism after graduation, credits her education with helping her blossom as a standout reporter.
“Loyola’s sense of community has created an atmosphere for me that has been vital in the positive progression of my journalism skills,” she said. “I would not be the journalist I am today if I had not stepped into The Maroon newsroom two years ago.”
Posted Sept. 25, 2013