- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
Brushwood performs at Oregon VFW for First Fridays Oct. 4
Online Staff Report
OREGON, Ill. — Autumn on Parade weekend always calls for an outstanding evening of live music entertainment at the Oregon VFW Club. The First Fridays musicians will be starting the festivities at 7 p.m., Oct. 4, with each musician (or band) taking 15 minutes at center stage and continuing until each group has been featured.
As a special feature, Brushwood, a trio of First Fridays veterans, will be debuting their new original composition, Rock River Garden, inspired by the observations of English-born Brian Arnold viewing our scenic river valley for the first time. The members of Brushwood are Mary Ley (vocals, harp, acoustic guitar, Indian flute), Bruce Denton (vocals, acoustic guitar) and Kathryn Arnold-Stauffer (violin, back-up vocals).
Talented musicians from across northern Illinois, and often neighboring states, appear on a regular basis at First Fridays. The music is varied and includes country, bluegrass, blues, folk, gospel, soft rock and eclectic mixes of all of the above. Instruments are all acoustic and a professional sound system is supplied. Participation is encouraged, so bring an instrument and join the show, or kick back and just enjoy the music.
First Fridays is a part of northern Illinois’ Friday night music scene along with Second Fridays in Lanark, Third Fridays in Franklin Grove, Fourth Fridays in Polo, and special Fifth Friday (when they occur) shows in Franklin Grove.
The VFW features an extensive menu of food and beverages. Admission is by free-will donation.
The Oregon VFW Club is at 1310 W. Washington St., on Illinois Route 64 at the west edge of Oregon, Ill.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013