- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Brushwood performs at Oregon VFW for First Fridays Oct. 4
Online Staff Report
OREGON, Ill. — Autumn on Parade weekend always calls for an outstanding evening of live music entertainment at the Oregon VFW Club. The First Fridays musicians will be starting the festivities at 7 p.m., Oct. 4, with each musician (or band) taking 15 minutes at center stage and continuing until each group has been featured.
As a special feature, Brushwood, a trio of First Fridays veterans, will be debuting their new original composition, Rock River Garden, inspired by the observations of English-born Brian Arnold viewing our scenic river valley for the first time. The members of Brushwood are Mary Ley (vocals, harp, acoustic guitar, Indian flute), Bruce Denton (vocals, acoustic guitar) and Kathryn Arnold-Stauffer (violin, back-up vocals).
Talented musicians from across northern Illinois, and often neighboring states, appear on a regular basis at First Fridays. The music is varied and includes country, bluegrass, blues, folk, gospel, soft rock and eclectic mixes of all of the above. Instruments are all acoustic and a professional sound system is supplied. Participation is encouraged, so bring an instrument and join the show, or kick back and just enjoy the music.
First Fridays is a part of northern Illinois’ Friday night music scene along with Second Fridays in Lanark, Third Fridays in Franklin Grove, Fourth Fridays in Polo, and special Fifth Friday (when they occur) shows in Franklin Grove.
The VFW features an extensive menu of food and beverages. Admission is by free-will donation.
The Oregon VFW Club is at 1310 W. Washington St., on Illinois Route 64 at the west edge of Oregon, Ill.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013