- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Brushwood performs at Oregon VFW for First Fridays Oct. 4
Online Staff Report
OREGON, Ill. — Autumn on Parade weekend always calls for an outstanding evening of live music entertainment at the Oregon VFW Club. The First Fridays musicians will be starting the festivities at 7 p.m., Oct. 4, with each musician (or band) taking 15 minutes at center stage and continuing until each group has been featured.
As a special feature, Brushwood, a trio of First Fridays veterans, will be debuting their new original composition, Rock River Garden, inspired by the observations of English-born Brian Arnold viewing our scenic river valley for the first time. The members of Brushwood are Mary Ley (vocals, harp, acoustic guitar, Indian flute), Bruce Denton (vocals, acoustic guitar) and Kathryn Arnold-Stauffer (violin, back-up vocals).
Talented musicians from across northern Illinois, and often neighboring states, appear on a regular basis at First Fridays. The music is varied and includes country, bluegrass, blues, folk, gospel, soft rock and eclectic mixes of all of the above. Instruments are all acoustic and a professional sound system is supplied. Participation is encouraged, so bring an instrument and join the show, or kick back and just enjoy the music.
First Fridays is a part of northern Illinois’ Friday night music scene along with Second Fridays in Lanark, Third Fridays in Franklin Grove, Fourth Fridays in Polo, and special Fifth Friday (when they occur) shows in Franklin Grove.
The VFW features an extensive menu of food and beverages. Admission is by free-will donation.
The Oregon VFW Club is at 1310 W. Washington St., on Illinois Route 64 at the west edge of Oregon, Ill.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013