- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Burpee Museum presents René van Rems at fall fund-raiser Oct. 5-6
Online Staff Report
For the first time in many years, René van Rems will return to the Midwest as the guest of honor at Burpee Museum of Natural History’s fall fund-raiser.
Originally from Amsterdam, Holland, René van Rems has lived in California since he settled there as an exchange student. He has received numerous awards, including the Francis Jones Poetker Award in 1995, the Los Angeles Flower Market’s first annual René van Rems Award for excellence in design education in 2001, and the American Institute of Floral Designers’ (AIFD) Award of Distinguished Service to the Floral Industry in 2009.
Known as an ambassador of the floral industry, van Rems has continuously influenced floral design. His company, René van Rems International, was established in 1986. Learn more at www.RenevanRems.com.
Oct. 5 and 6, van Rems will teach two workshops and present his floral works of art at Burpee Museum of Natural History, 737 N. Main St. People of all interests and skill levels are welcome to attend.
At both workshops, René will teach attendees how to make a small, hand-held bouquet and table centerpiece, which they are able to take home at the end. Every workshop will repeat the same material, as to accommodate attendees’ schedules.
The evening presentation includes dinner and van Rems at work on his floral masterpieces. Guests will also have the opportunity to purchase one of these masterpieces in a live auction. Book-signings will be available at the end of the presentation.
Workshops will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5-6. The Dinner Presentation will be from 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5. All events will take place at the Burpee Museum of Natural History, 737 N. Main St., Rockford. Tickets must be bought in advance, as there are a limited number of seats available for workshops and the dinner presentation.
To register for this firsthand floral experience, contact Burpee Marketing Coordinator MacKenna Atteberry at Mackenna.Atteberry@burpee.org or visit www.burpee.org. The museum can be reached at (815) 965-3433.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013