- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Discovery Center offers fall Family Fun Days
Online Staff Report
Discovery Center Museum, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, will host six Family Fun Day events between October and December. Designed as educational and entertaining programs for families, Family Fun Days focus on a specific subject matter and then explore that subject through various means, including activities, demonstrations, make-and-take projects, and performances.
The event schedule is as follows:
Build It Bonanza!: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5-6 — Explore Discovery Center’s newest temporary exhibition, “Build It! Make It!” Take a moment out from assembling the tallest tower to construct a birdfeeder from recycled materials. Step away from the Lincoln Logs and LEGOs and piece together some fall art for the garden. Innovative hands of all sizes are welcome in this amazing hands-on space. Included with admission to “Build It! Make It!” …free for members and $2 for the public.
Spooky Science: 6-9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26 — Come in costume for a non-scary night of Halloween fun. Trick-or-treat through the exhibits, make your own slime, play under black light, create crafts and more. A host of famous dead scientists will be on hand to amaze you with science tricks that look like magic. Cost is $3 members, $9 public.
Smashing Pumpkins: 1-4 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 3 — Calling all jack-o-lanterns! Unwanted pumpkins become parking lot projectiles when flung from a giant trebuchet! Bring used pumpkin, create a catapult, celebrate the harvest and have a smashing goodtime. Included with Discovery Center admission.
Uncanny Science: 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, Nov. 29-30 — Join the museum for amazing science demos and seasonal arts and crafts. Included with Discovery Center admission.
Wacky Winter Workshops: 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Dec. 26-30 — Explore the shapes of the season with hands-on crafts and fun art projects. Included with Discovery Center admission.
Countdown to Fun!: 12:30-4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 31 — Crafts, games, music and art come together as participants count down to midnight — somewhere in the world! Ring in the New Year with music from Kantorei, the singing boys of Rockford. Party hats, confetti, noise-makers and more also included. Included with Discovery Center admission.
Admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2 to 17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013