- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Locktoberfest begins Oct. 5-6
Locktoberfest at Lockwood Park, 5201 Safford Road, Rockford, begins Oct. 5 and continues every Saturday and Sunday in October from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Locktoberfest will also be open when school is out on Columbus Day Monday, Oct. 14, with added special activities on that day only.
Lockwood Park, a Rockford Park District facility, provides a country-type experience just minutes from downtown Rockford. Locktoberfest will have a variety of free or low-fee activities and entertainment for kids and adults to enjoy. Admission to Lockwood Park is free, with some paid activities.
Locktoberfest activities include carnival rides by Skinner Amusement; pumpkin-themed games and activities; storytime wagon rides; face-painting; a corn maze; pony ring rides; scavenger hunt; seasonal food favorites; and pick your own pumpkin for $5.
Themed weekends include the following:
Apple Days, Oct. 5-6 — Apple crafts and food with trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Pumpkin Patch Days, Oct. 12-14 — Seasonal food favorites, trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and additional special activities for Columbus Day, Oct. 14.
Scarecrow Days, Oct. 19-20 — Build a scarecrow and trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Costume Party Days, Oct. 26-27 — Oct. 26: Q98.5 candy and scavenger hunt and trail rides, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Oct. 27: Scavenger hunt, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; and trail rides, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
All programs and activities are weather-dependent and subject to change.
The mission of Lockwood Park is to help people enjoy life through their connection to animals. The park programs provide a variety of experiences and learning opportunities to promote healthy, positive interactions between people and animals. Lockwood Park offers 15 miles of scenic trails for hiking, biking or horseback riding.
For current updates, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/locktoberfest, or call Lockwood Park at (815) 987-8809.
From the Oct. 2-8, 2013, issue