- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Locktoberfest begins Oct. 5-6
Locktoberfest at Lockwood Park, 5201 Safford Road, Rockford, begins Oct. 5 and continues every Saturday and Sunday in October from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Locktoberfest will also be open when school is out on Columbus Day Monday, Oct. 14, with added special activities on that day only.
Lockwood Park, a Rockford Park District facility, provides a country-type experience just minutes from downtown Rockford. Locktoberfest will have a variety of free or low-fee activities and entertainment for kids and adults to enjoy. Admission to Lockwood Park is free, with some paid activities.
Locktoberfest activities include carnival rides by Skinner Amusement; pumpkin-themed games and activities; storytime wagon rides; face-painting; a corn maze; pony ring rides; scavenger hunt; seasonal food favorites; and pick your own pumpkin for $5.
Themed weekends include the following:
Apple Days, Oct. 5-6 — Apple crafts and food with trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Pumpkin Patch Days, Oct. 12-14 — Seasonal food favorites, trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and additional special activities for Columbus Day, Oct. 14.
Scarecrow Days, Oct. 19-20 — Build a scarecrow and trail rides from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Costume Party Days, Oct. 26-27 — Oct. 26: Q98.5 candy and scavenger hunt and trail rides, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Oct. 27: Scavenger hunt, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; and trail rides, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
All programs and activities are weather-dependent and subject to change.
The mission of Lockwood Park is to help people enjoy life through their connection to animals. The park programs provide a variety of experiences and learning opportunities to promote healthy, positive interactions between people and animals. Lockwood Park offers 15 miles of scenic trails for hiking, biking or horseback riding.
For current updates, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/locktoberfest, or call Lockwood Park at (815) 987-8809.
From the Oct. 2-8, 2013, issue