- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
SwedishAmerican offers free breast cancer awareness program Oct. 7
Online Staff Report
SwedishAmerican will host “Planting the Seeds of Hope,” a free breast cancer awareness program, at Giovanni’s, 610 N. Bell School Road, Rockford, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Monday, Oct. 7.
Attendees can arrive at 5:30 p.m. to register and browse informative health care exhibits. At 6:30 p.m., SwedishAmerican Health System President and CEO Dr. Bill Gorski will provide an update about the health system’s new Regional Cancer Center opening in October.
Guest speaker, Mark Burkard, M.D., Ph.D., medical oncologist, UW Carbone Cancer Center, will then speak about “Recent Progress and the Future of Breast Cancer.” As an oncologist, Dr. Burkard’s clinical practice and research interest is in breast cancer and experimental therapeutics.
Additionally, Kristen Christianson, breast cancer survivor and CT Technician for SwedishAmerican, will discuss her personal story about fighting breast cancer, and an expert panel will discuss the latest innovations in breast health care and answer questions.
Everyone who attends will receive a free gift, as well as a gift certificate for $25 off a mammogram at the SwedishAmerican Center For Women or SwedishAmerican Medical Center/Belvidere. In addition, light refreshments will be served and door prizes will be awarded.
To register, visit www.swedishamerican.org or call HealthConnect at (815) 968-2500.
Posted Oct. 2, 2013