Online Staff Report
Enjoy the ambiance of Midway Village and the fall colors as you make and take a scarecrow at the Scarecrow Harvest Festival from noon to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5-6, at Midway Village Museum, 6799 Guilford Road, Rockford.
The museum will provide the straw for free. Purchase a cloth head, hat, shirt, pants and other traditional scarecrow accessories on site, or bring your old clothes from home to make as many scarecrows as you can carry.
While at the museum, take the time to explore the charming Victorian-era village and gardens at one of the most scenic times of the year when the leaves are in full color and the traditional harvest activities are in full swing.
Visitors will experience the following:
• Harvest time activities for children and adults;
• Demonstrations of rare antique threshing and bailing machinery provided by talented village blacksmiths;
• Learn to square dance in the 1905 barn;
• Play old-fashioned games by the 1902 one-room school house;
• Enjoy horse-drawn wagon rides around the village;
• Corning shelling;
• Learn fall recipes; and
• Food and fall treats will be available in Burritt’s Town Hall Café.
Cost is $7 adults, $5 students and children (3 to 17). Midway Village Museum members are free. Purchase tickets for this event at the gates the day of the event.
For more details, call (815) 397-9112 or visit www.midwayvillage.com.
Posted Oct. 4, 2013