- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
Friends plan benefit dinner for cancer victim Oct. 11
By Susan Johnson
Family and friends of Sue Barisa, a local woman battling renal free-cell cancer, are planning a benefit dinner in her honor. The condition affects her kidneys; it was diagnosed in April of this year.
Barisa, her husband Greg, their two daughters Katie and Stephanie, and her older sister Mary, invite everyone to come out to the dinner, to be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 11, at the Blackhawk Athletic Club, 2023 Broadway, Rockford.
The menu will include pasta, salad and bread. A cash bar will be available for beverages. The event will feature a silent auction, a dessert auction, and live music by an acoustic band. Donations at the door will be the cost of dinner. All proceeds will go to the family to help with medical bills.
Prior to becoming ill, Barisa worked as an aide in a local school. Her friend Lisa Smith said: “She is very kind, loving and creative. She was a teacher’s aide in my classroom at Johnson Elementary School until last year, when she became sick. Her creativity is being missed.”
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue