- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
Friends plan benefit dinner for cancer victim Oct. 11
By Susan Johnson
Family and friends of Sue Barisa, a local woman battling renal free-cell cancer, are planning a benefit dinner in her honor. The condition affects her kidneys; it was diagnosed in April of this year.
Barisa, her husband Greg, their two daughters Katie and Stephanie, and her older sister Mary, invite everyone to come out to the dinner, to be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 11, at the Blackhawk Athletic Club, 2023 Broadway, Rockford.
The menu will include pasta, salad and bread. A cash bar will be available for beverages. The event will feature a silent auction, a dessert auction, and live music by an acoustic band. Donations at the door will be the cost of dinner. All proceeds will go to the family to help with medical bills.
Prior to becoming ill, Barisa worked as an aide in a local school. Her friend Lisa Smith said: “She is very kind, loving and creative. She was a teacher’s aide in my classroom at Johnson Elementary School until last year, when she became sick. Her creativity is being missed.”
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue