- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Ghosts invade Music Academy at Viva Spooky Suzuki Oct. 12
Ghosts and goblins will be wearing cowboy hats and sombreros during Viva Spooky Suzuki, the annual open house of The Music Academy of Rockford. The event, which will highlight student performances along with kids’ games and crafts and fiesta refreshments, will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, in The Music Academy, 226 S. Second St., and First Lutheran Church, 225 S. Third St.
Music Academy students will perform music varying from Mariachi to Mozart. Babies and toddlers and their parents are invited to attend sample demonstrations of Prelude, the Academy’s early childhood music class.
Other activities include Cow Chip Toss and Cow Poke Shuffle games, polymer clay crafts, and a presentation of Pablo Carona’s video, Our City, Our Story. Fabulous Fiesta Food Concessions will be available along with silhouettes made to order.
Students and those attending are encouraged to wear costumes. Viva Spooky Suzuki is a prelude to a visit by Music Academy students to San Antonio, Texas, in June 2014, where they will be performing on the banks of the Riverwalk and the courtyard of the Alamo.
The Music Academy is a not-for-profit community school of music dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable instruction and performance opportunities to academy students, regardless of age or ability. Its mission is to inspire a lifelong love of music and the arts in its students. For more about Viva Spooky Suzuki or the academy, call (815) 986-0037 or visit www.MusicAcademyInRockford.com.
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue