- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
- TRRT March 25-31 | Online Edition
- State Roundup: Plaintiffs join Rauner on fair share case
Help out at Atwood Park on Saturdays; next date Oct. 12
Rockford Park District’s Atwood Center in Seth B. Atwood Park welcomes help from citizens to maintain and preserve areas of the park’s 334 acres while enjoying the outdoors.
The Park District’s second-largest park is uniquely diverse, with prairie, woodland, river and wetland areas that need special attention. The public is invited to join the Environmental Recreation and Education staff on the second Saturday of the month through March 8, 2014, from 9 until 11 a.m., for a brief lesson about the area to be worked on, then pitching in to help with some maintenance.
All ages are welcome; youth younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided. Families and other groups can enjoy spending time together while knowing their contributions of time and effort help benefit nature and the community; groups of five or more are asked to call (815) 874-7576 in advance to advise Atwood staff of attendance.
The next Stewardship Saturdays will be Oct. 12 and Nov. 9. The full list of all Stewardship dates can be found in the Rockford Park District Fall/Winter 2013/2014 Program Guide available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/programbrochures and at Park District offices and facilities, or by calling Atwood Center or Customer Service. These are drop-in sessions, with no pre-registration required.
More about Atwood programs, facility rentals, and group activities and retreats is available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/atwood. For information about disability support and accessibility for people with disabilities, call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue