- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Help out at Atwood Park on Saturdays; next date Oct. 12
Rockford Park District’s Atwood Center in Seth B. Atwood Park welcomes help from citizens to maintain and preserve areas of the park’s 334 acres while enjoying the outdoors.
The Park District’s second-largest park is uniquely diverse, with prairie, woodland, river and wetland areas that need special attention. The public is invited to join the Environmental Recreation and Education staff on the second Saturday of the month through March 8, 2014, from 9 until 11 a.m., for a brief lesson about the area to be worked on, then pitching in to help with some maintenance.
All ages are welcome; youth younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided. Families and other groups can enjoy spending time together while knowing their contributions of time and effort help benefit nature and the community; groups of five or more are asked to call (815) 874-7576 in advance to advise Atwood staff of attendance.
The next Stewardship Saturdays will be Oct. 12 and Nov. 9. The full list of all Stewardship dates can be found in the Rockford Park District Fall/Winter 2013/2014 Program Guide available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/programbrochures and at Park District offices and facilities, or by calling Atwood Center or Customer Service. These are drop-in sessions, with no pre-registration required.
More about Atwood programs, facility rentals, and group activities and retreats is available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/atwood. For information about disability support and accessibility for people with disabilities, call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue