- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Quidditch returns to Rockford Oct. 26-27
After hosting 10 teams for the inaugural Rock River Invitational in April, Rockford impressed International Quidditch Association (IQA) officials to win a bid to host the IQA Midwest Regional Championship. The regional championship, expected to be more than twice the size of the previous tournament with 25 to 30 teams, will be Oct. 26-27 at Sportcore II. The event will fill an estimated 400 hotel room nights and generate approximately $73,000 for area businesses.
Quidditch was adapted from the Harry Potter novels in 2005 at Middlebury College in Vermont and is now played at more than 300 universities and high schools throughout North America, Australia and Europe.
The IQA says it chose Rockford as the location for the Midwest’s premiere tournament because local leaders share the organization’s passion for and commitment to growing the game.
“With the offer of a central location for all our teams, the high-quality Sportscore II facility, exceptional connections to local media outlets, as well as many other services at our disposal for the tournament, Rockford was a clear choice to host our event this season,” said Luke Zak, regional director, IQA.
The Midwest Regional Championship includes teams from 12 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. The teams are vying for a chance to compete at the IQA World Cup in North Myrtle Beach, S.C., in 2014.
The IQA announced the Northeast Regional Championship will be in Rochester, N.Y., and the Western Regional Championship will be in Tempe, Ariz. Visit internationalquidditch.org.
From the Oct. 9-15, 2013, issue