- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Alex Papini wins again at Rockford Speedway
2013 Rockford Speedway Late Model track champion Alex Papini (pictured) was a three-time race winner at Rockford Speedway’s Bahama Brackets over the weekend of Oct. 12-13. Papini won the “A” feature, claimed an “A” heat race and led “A” time trials. He also won a “BB” heat race in the four-cylinder class. For a complete list of winners, visit www.rockfordspeedway.com.
Upcoming at the track, 9572 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, Ill., is the final event of the 2013 racing season, the 33rd Annual Goblin 250 enduro. The race features more than 100 four-cylinder cars, trucks, vans and station wagons in a 250-lap slugfest. Race starts at 1 p.m. The first 125 laps will be run on the oval, with the final 125 laps run on the tricky “Monza” course. Following the enduro, the speedway will close the season with demolition derbies. Damaged Goods presents the “Wreckless in Rockford” Demo Derbies, along with the “Big Swarm” Demo for four-cylinder cars that raced in the Goblin 250. A Kids’ Costume Contest will be held before the race at 12:40 p.m., along with a Kids’ Candy Scramble during the halfway break of the Goblin.
Gates open at 11 a.m., Sunday, Oct. 20, with the Goblin 250 taking the green at 1 p.m. Adult admission is $12, students ages 12-17 are $8, children 6-11 are $5, while kids 5 and younger are free.
From the Oct. 16-22, 2013, issue