- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
Furniture-maker featured at Oct. 17 Anderson Gardens lecture
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s Anderson Japanese Gardens will host Craig Klucina, carpenter and furniture-maker for Chicago-based Plane-Spoken, at 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 17, for a lecture about modern sukiya style for Western homes.
Klucina will discuss how Western spaces can be transformed with the introduction of shoji, ranma, fusuma and tansu. Further, he will explain how a craftsman can alter the proportions of architectural elements such as windows, walls and ceiling — always remaining mindful of the relationship between interior and exterior spaces — to create truly modern sukiya spaces. He will discuss Plane-Spoken’s current project, which involves these three elements and concerns.
The lecture is free to Anderson Japanese Gardens members and $5 for non-members. Reservations are requested and can be made by contacting Sara at (815) 316-3307 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anderson Japanese Gardens, 318 Spring Creek Road, has been named one of the highest-quality Japanese gardens in North America by Sukiya Living magazine since 2004. Inspired by calm and tranquility, this 12-acre, award-winning landscape is composed of koi-filled ponds, winding pathways, gentle streams, plunging waterfalls, raked gravel gardens, beautifully trained pines and more. Master craftsmanship and 16th-century traditional architecture are found throughout.
For more details, call (815) 229-9390 or visit www.AndersonGardens.org.
Posted Oct. 16, 2013