- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Action alert: Ask your legislator to support amendatory veto of H.B. 2454
Editor’s note: The following is a letter from Danielle Diamond, attorney for Illinois Citizens for Clean Air & Water, regarding Illinois House Bill 2454.
Please contact your legislators ASAP and ask them to support the governor’s amendatory veto of H.B. 2454! Unless it is vetoed, H.B. 2454 will drastically reduce the ability of citizens to get CAFO referendum on the ballot.
You can take action at this link provided by the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC): http://action.ilenviro.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12264
The governor’s amendatory veto could be acted on as early as tomorrow, and we need people to contact their legislators to ask them to support it!
Currently, any registered voter can make a proposal for a referendum to appear on the ballot at a township annual meeting, and that proposal is approved or denied by the voters present. This means that you can make an advisory referendum appear on a ballot without collecting signatures on a petition and with a very small number of people. Many of you have used the township meeting process to get CAFO-related referendum on the ballot in the past or wish to do so in the future. We need to preserve this process, but it is under attack.
H.B. 2454 would drastically limit your ability to pursue voter referendum and to ask public questions about CAFO-related issues, such as their threats to local public health.
For more information, please see the IEC’s action alert at the link above. Please also see the attached fact sheet on H.B. 2454.
Please contact your legislators ASAP and spread the word!
Danielle Diamond, Attorney
Illinois Citizens for Clean Air & Water
P.S. — And many thanks to IEC for notifying us of this and for leading the charge to preserve your rights!
Posted Oct. 21, 2013