- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
Boy Scout Model Camp at Gander Mountain Oct. 26
Boy Scout Troop 23 will hold its annual Model Camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Gander Mountain, 3068 McFarland Road, Rockford.
Demonstrations of fire-building, first aid, knot-tying and camp set-up will be included. A lunch of hot ham and cheese sandwiches, cooked over the fire, will be offered for $2.
The troop is also inviting all local Cub Scout dens, Webelo packs, as well as anyone interested in the scouting experience.
Troop 23 has long been known as the “Canoeing Troop.” Besides dozens of trips to Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, the troop also builds wood strip canoes. Since 1996, the troop has made four wood strip canoes. In addition, each boy and adult who goes on the high adventure trip to Boundary Waters makes his or her own bent shaft paddle. A wood strip canoe that the troop has built as well as several paddles will be on display at Gander Mountain.
For more information, contact James Hearne (779) 348-2326 or Brian Berridge (815) 289-2528.
From the Oct. 23-29, 2013, issue