- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Boy Scout Model Camp at Gander Mountain Oct. 26
Boy Scout Troop 23 will hold its annual Model Camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Gander Mountain, 3068 McFarland Road, Rockford.
Demonstrations of fire-building, first aid, knot-tying and camp set-up will be included. A lunch of hot ham and cheese sandwiches, cooked over the fire, will be offered for $2.
The troop is also inviting all local Cub Scout dens, Webelo packs, as well as anyone interested in the scouting experience.
Troop 23 has long been known as the “Canoeing Troop.” Besides dozens of trips to Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, the troop also builds wood strip canoes. Since 1996, the troop has made four wood strip canoes. In addition, each boy and adult who goes on the high adventure trip to Boundary Waters makes his or her own bent shaft paddle. A wood strip canoe that the troop has built as well as several paddles will be on display at Gander Mountain.
For more information, contact James Hearne (779) 348-2326 or Brian Berridge (815) 289-2528.
From the Oct. 23-29, 2013, issue