- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Boy Scout Model Camp at Gander Mountain Oct. 26
Boy Scout Troop 23 will hold its annual Model Camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Gander Mountain, 3068 McFarland Road, Rockford.
Demonstrations of fire-building, first aid, knot-tying and camp set-up will be included. A lunch of hot ham and cheese sandwiches, cooked over the fire, will be offered for $2.
The troop is also inviting all local Cub Scout dens, Webelo packs, as well as anyone interested in the scouting experience.
Troop 23 has long been known as the “Canoeing Troop.” Besides dozens of trips to Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, the troop also builds wood strip canoes. Since 1996, the troop has made four wood strip canoes. In addition, each boy and adult who goes on the high adventure trip to Boundary Waters makes his or her own bent shaft paddle. A wood strip canoe that the troop has built as well as several paddles will be on display at Gander Mountain.
For more information, contact James Hearne (779) 348-2326 or Brian Berridge (815) 289-2528.
From the Oct. 23-29, 2013, issue