- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Boy Scout Model Camp at Gander Mountain Oct. 26
Boy Scout Troop 23 will hold its annual Model Camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Gander Mountain, 3068 McFarland Road, Rockford.
Demonstrations of fire-building, first aid, knot-tying and camp set-up will be included. A lunch of hot ham and cheese sandwiches, cooked over the fire, will be offered for $2.
The troop is also inviting all local Cub Scout dens, Webelo packs, as well as anyone interested in the scouting experience.
Troop 23 has long been known as the “Canoeing Troop.” Besides dozens of trips to Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, the troop also builds wood strip canoes. Since 1996, the troop has made four wood strip canoes. In addition, each boy and adult who goes on the high adventure trip to Boundary Waters makes his or her own bent shaft paddle. A wood strip canoe that the troop has built as well as several paddles will be on display at Gander Mountain.
For more information, contact James Hearne (779) 348-2326 or Brian Berridge (815) 289-2528.
From the Oct. 23-29, 2013, issue