- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Boy Scout Model Camp at Gander Mountain Oct. 26
Boy Scout Troop 23 will hold its annual Model Camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Gander Mountain, 3068 McFarland Road, Rockford.
Demonstrations of fire-building, first aid, knot-tying and camp set-up will be included. A lunch of hot ham and cheese sandwiches, cooked over the fire, will be offered for $2.
The troop is also inviting all local Cub Scout dens, Webelo packs, as well as anyone interested in the scouting experience.
Troop 23 has long been known as the “Canoeing Troop.” Besides dozens of trips to Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota, the troop also builds wood strip canoes. Since 1996, the troop has made four wood strip canoes. In addition, each boy and adult who goes on the high adventure trip to Boundary Waters makes his or her own bent shaft paddle. A wood strip canoe that the troop has built as well as several paddles will be on display at Gander Mountain.
For more information, contact James Hearne (779) 348-2326 or Brian Berridge (815) 289-2528.
From the Oct. 23-29, 2013, issue