- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
Special Olympics Illinois Fall Games in Machesney Park, Poplar Grove Oct. 26-27
Online Staff Report
NORMAL, Ill. — More than 750 Special Olympics athletes from all over the state will compete at the Special Olympics Illinois Fall Games, which includes volleyball and equestrian competition, Oct. 26-27, in Machesney Park and Poplar Grove.
Volleyball competition will take place at Machesney Park Harlem High School from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 27. Equestrian competition will take place at BraveHearts at the Bergmann Centre in Poplar Grove from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, and 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 27.
Nearly 500 volleyball athletes will be competing in traditional team, modified team or unified team play, with 46 athletes competing in the individual skills competition. The individual skills competition involves different skill tests that the athletes participate in, including forearm pass, overhead set and serve. Unified teams include players with and without intellectual disabilities that compete against other unified teams.
Nearly 130 athletes will compete in equestrian competition, including dressage, English equitation, showmanship, stock seat equitation and working trails.
The Opening Ceremonies will begin at 6:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Harlem High School. A victory dance follows and will feature a Halloween costume contest.
For more about the Special Olympics, call 800-394-0562 or visit www.soill.org.
Posted Oct. 23, 2013