- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
Special Olympics Illinois Fall Games in Machesney Park, Poplar Grove Oct. 26-27
Online Staff Report
NORMAL, Ill. — More than 750 Special Olympics athletes from all over the state will compete at the Special Olympics Illinois Fall Games, which includes volleyball and equestrian competition, Oct. 26-27, in Machesney Park and Poplar Grove.
Volleyball competition will take place at Machesney Park Harlem High School from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 27. Equestrian competition will take place at BraveHearts at the Bergmann Centre in Poplar Grove from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, and 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 27.
Nearly 500 volleyball athletes will be competing in traditional team, modified team or unified team play, with 46 athletes competing in the individual skills competition. The individual skills competition involves different skill tests that the athletes participate in, including forearm pass, overhead set and serve. Unified teams include players with and without intellectual disabilities that compete against other unified teams.
Nearly 130 athletes will compete in equestrian competition, including dressage, English equitation, showmanship, stock seat equitation and working trails.
The Opening Ceremonies will begin at 6:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26, at Harlem High School. A victory dance follows and will feature a Halloween costume contest.
For more about the Special Olympics, call 800-394-0562 or visit www.soill.org.
Posted Oct. 23, 2013