- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Multi-artist ‘Day of the Dead’ exhibit at FotoEnvy Nov. 1
Mario “Kayo” Martinez of GuerillArt and Hip Hop Congress of Rockford is hosting the fourth installment of Dia De Los Muertos, which is an art gallery exhibit showcasing the celebration of the “Day of the Dead” from artists of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
The exhibit will run 6-11 p.m., Friday, Nov. 1, at FotoEnvy, 317 W. Jefferson St., Rockford.
Dia De Los Muertos (“Day of the Dead”) is a Mexican holiday that focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. A group of more than 30 diverse artists will showcase their artwork in various media while presenting their interpretation to the “Day of the Dead” theme.
The art exhibit will consist of artists from the Chicago, Madison, Wis., and Rockford area, including Sara Briseno, Jon Candiotta, Richy Cepeda, Joelene Chinn, Jesus Correa, Dillon Coulahan, Eddie Fajardo, Jaymee Fedor, Katrina Brook Flores, Arturo Frescas, Benjamin Gifford, Joseph Goral, Peter Goral, Lisa Gray, Corey Hagberg, Lamarcus Harvey, Jarrod Hennis, Javier Jimenez, Greg Lang, Ryan Lape, Jeremy Lombardo, Oscar Luna, Mario Kayo Martinez, Rodrigo Martinez, Sarah McNamara, Danika Mollway, Dan Moorman, Dennis Quijano, Brianna Smith, Sarah Stewart, Manny Tang, Jay Turner, Isaac Velasco, Emmanuel White Eagle and more. A mural painted by Ryan Lape and others on a wall of FotoEnvy will represent Dia De Los Muertos on a large scale.
The art exhibit will present those in attendance with a real-life perspective on the diverse background of the artists and Dia De Los Muertos. Music will be provided by DJ Vic Monsta, DJ Rick Monsta, and live band.
Since the goal of this event is for the artists to share their heritage and background with attendees, the art exhibit is free to the public. Refreshments will be served. This event is sponsored by GuerillArt, FotoEnvy and Hip Hop Congress of Rockford. Contact Mario Martinez at (815) 519-3204 or visit http://www.rockfordhhc.org/dotd2013 for more details.
From the Oct. 30-Nov. 5, 2013, issue