- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Nov. 2 fund-raiser for Helping Hands Pantry
By Gloria Gregory
Community Outreach Facilitator, Helping Hands Pantry
Established in 2003, the Helping Hands Pantry is a “client choice” food pantry currently serving the Loves Park and Machesney Park areas. With no paid staff, we are run completely by volunteers who serve in several capacities from shelf stockers to director of operations. That means nearly 100 percent of every dollar donated or generated from fund-raising events goes directly to obtain food to feed people in our community. Our partnership with Northern Illinois Food Bank means that our pantry — a recognized nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization — has access to quality food for minimal costs. We are currently serving approximately 400 families per month from Loves Park, Machesney Park, Rockton and Roscoe.
Our Fourth Annual Pasta Ball, to be held Saturday, Nov. 2, at the Forest Hills Lodge, is our main fund-raiser for the year. We are very excited to have the Improv Olympics (IO) providing entertainment for this year’s event. IO has many famous alumni (Mike Myers, Amy Poehler and Vince Vaughn, to name a few), and they will be sure to provide a unique, fun experience for our guests. We will also have a silent auction. Some items that will be featured this year are a Chicago trip to Phantom of the Opera provided by Canterbury Tours, an IceHogs package that includes four tickets, two tickets to the St. Louis Cardinals for the 2014 season, six passes to the Brookfield Zoo, and much, much more! Music will be provided by DJ Ron Reiner. Food provided by Nunzio’s Restaurant. Javamania coffee bar will be serving up fresh coffee drinks. There will also be a 50/50 raffle and door prizes. Our Diamond sponsor for this year’s Pasta Ball is North American Clutch and Driveline. Additional sponsors are Field Fasteners, Noah’s Ark Waterproofing, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Gleason Cutting Tools and Fleet Lift Truck Service.
Cost for the event is $35 per person, but there are several options available at a sponsorship level. The doors open at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 6:30 p.m. For further information or to order tickets, contact Ashley at (815) 980-0208 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come join us to support a great cause!
From the Oct. 30-Nov. 5, 2013, issue