- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Park District offers youth basketball skills camp Nov. 4-8
Online Staff Report
Rockford Park District invites youth in grades pre-K through four to sign up for a youth basketball skills camp designed to teach children the necessary skills to become a better player. Camp participants will learn the latest techniques in ball handling, passing, shooting, footwork, rebounding and team play from local high school coaches.
Daily guest coaches will be as follow:
• Nov. 5, Rockford East High School Boys’ Varsity Basketball Coach Roy Sackmaster;
• Nov. 6, Rockford Auburn High School Boys’ Varsity Basketball Coach Bryan Ott;
• Nov. 7, Rockford Jefferson High School Girls’ Varsity Basketball Coach John Guth; and
• Nov. 8, Rockford Auburn High School Girls’ Varsity Basketball Coach Xavier Hoover.
Camp will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, Nov. 4-8, at West Middle School in Rockford, with a kick-off jamboree Nov. 4, where Chicago Sky mascot Sky Guy will appear, as well as the Sky Squad Dunk Show.
Camp fee is $40 ($45 non-resident) and includes a T-shirt and award. Registration is under way, and will continue through Oct. 28, if capacity has not been reached sooner.
Registrations are taken online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org (click My RPD), by mail, fax or at Customer Service locations in downtown Rockford, or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park.
Complete information is in the Park District’s Fall/Winter 2013/2014 Program Guide (www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/guides), at Park District Customer Service and facilities, or by calling (815) 962-7469 or (815) 987-8800.
For information about support and adapted sports programs, including wheelchair basketball and Buddy Basketball for players with disabilities, call (815) 987-8800.
Posted Oct. 30, 2013