- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Piper Road Spring Band celebrates 40 years Nov. 1 at Mendelssohn
Longtime Charlotte’s Web favorite Piper Road Spring Band will perform a 40th anniversary and CD release party concert in the banquet room at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Friday, Nov. 1. Doors, dinner and cash bar open at 7 p.m., with concert at 7:30 p.m.
The first Friday in November brings the highly anticipated CD release and anniversary celebration of favorite bluegrass jam band Piper Road Spring Band.
The friendship between Charlotte’s Web and Piper Road runs deep, 40 years deep. Piper Road has been performing at the Web for all four of the decades they’re commemorating. They closed out the Web’s 35th Anniversary Celebration in 2007, and opened festivities for the 40th in 2012. Throughout the first couple decades, a Piper Road Spring Band show at the Web meant an entire weekend of laughter and music with the inevitable Charlotte’s Web versus Piper Road softball tournament topping it off.
When the Web heard Piper Road was celebrating its 40th anniversary of making music together, the Web jumped at the chance to help them celebrate properly: with a concert party event! Add food — amazing Rockford favorite Altamore’s Ristorante; add drink — uber great Kryptonite Bar; add music — the bluegrassiest jam band ever, Piper Road Spring Band; add people — the best darned folks around are PRSB fans; and this is the recipe for a fantastic celebration! Kate’s Pie Shop & Record Store will also be open late to celebrate Piper Road’s CD release.
The buffet-style dinner will include a Rockford original: ciambella, a unique Altamore’s specialty described as a giant donut-shaped bread stuffed with sausage and cheese and other good stuff, then cut into wedges; chicken/pesto pizza; farafelle (bowtie pasta) with Altamore’s famous vodka sauce; and a green salad.
Tickets to the concert and dinner are $20 in advance. Tickets at the door are $10 for the concert plus $15 for the food. Advanced tickets are available at the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center Box Office, 406 N. Main (Park Avenue entrance); (815) 964-9713; or online at www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Oct. 30-Nov. 5, 2013, issue