- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Mark Baldin and Friends at First Lutheran Church Nov. 17
First Lutheran Church, 225 S. Third St., offers the second in its eclectic Sounds from the Sanctuary 2013-14 concert series when it presents Mark Baldin and Friends at 3 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 17, at the church.
One of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra’s (RSO) most visible and popular soloists, Baldin has held the position of principal trumpet since 1984. In addition, he plays principal trumpet with the Wheaton Symphony, the Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra and the Rockford Wind Ensemble, and has performed with the Chicago Lyric Opera and the Grant Park Symphony. In 2009, he premiered A Concerto for Trumpet by Illinois composer Mark Lathan with the RSO.
Joining him in concert are his well-known, musically gifted friends, Tom Asher, trumpet; Becky Asher, French horn; Brian Rogers, trombone; Paul Boyer, tuba; with Gregory Gyllsdorff, organ. Selections will include music by Mahler, Martini, Dupré and Strauss. The concert is free and open to the public.
A freewill offering will be received.
Future 2013-2014 Sounds from the Sanctuary concerts include renowned young organist, Raúl Prieto Ramírez, Sunday, March 30, 2014; and the Vocal Collective from Rockford University, Sunday, May 11, 2014.
First Lutheran, corner of Third and Oak streets, is in the heart of Rockford’s historic Haight Village. A large parking lot sits adjacent to the church. Street parking and nearby public lots are also available. First Lutheran is handicap accessible.
For more about the concert series, contact First Lutheran at (815) 962-6691.
Posted Nov. 13, 2013