- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
No. 18-ranked NIU Huskies look to remain undefeated
By Doug Halberstadt
Tonight (Wednesday, Nov.13) in DeKalb, Ill., the Northern Illinois University (NIU) Huskies will take on Ball State in the “Heroes Game.” The Huskies will wear special jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit Active Heroes; the game will feature numerous tributes to active and veteran military, firefighters and other first responders. Game time is at 7 p.m.
Last year, the Huskies beat the Cardinals behind the rushing of quarterback Jordan Lynch. He compiled 207 yards and three touchdowns in the Huskies’ 35-23 victory Oct. 6, 2012.
The Huskies are in the midst of a perfect season (9-0) with only two more regular-season games remaining following tonight’s contest. NIU will go on the road next Wednesday, Nov. 20, to face Toledo and then wrap up the regular season back in DeKalb against Western Michigan Tuesday, Nov. 26, before competing in the Marathon Mid American Conference Championship game Friday, Dec. 6, in Detroit.
The Huskies are ranked No. 18 in the Bowl Championship Series rankings and 20th in the USA Today Coaches’ and Harris polls. They are 22nd in the Associated Press rankings. The Huskies’ 9-0 record is the school’s best since NIU entered the “Major College” ranks in 1969, and ties the 1965 team, which went 9-0 in the regular season. The last NIU team to go undefeated for the season was the 1963 squad, which claimed the NCAA College Division Championship with a 10-0 record in 1963.
The Huskies have won 22 consecutive games versus Mid-American Conference opponents dating back to Oct. 1, 2011, and own the longest conference winning streak in the country.
Northern Illinois’ 2013 senior class has won 43 games in the last four seasons to unseat its 2012 predecessors as the winningest senior class in school history. NIU is 43-8 since the start of the 2010 season, and has won 30 of its last 32 games dating back to Oct. 1, 2011.
They lead the nation with 24 consecutive victories in its home stadium dating back to 2009. The 2013 seniors have never lost a home game.
Tonight’s game can be heard on The Score (WSCR 670 AM) out of Chicago and WLBK 1360 AM & 98.9 FM (DeKalb).
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Nov. 13-19, 2013, issue