- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
No. 18-ranked NIU Huskies look to remain undefeated
By Doug Halberstadt
Tonight (Wednesday, Nov.13) in DeKalb, Ill., the Northern Illinois University (NIU) Huskies will take on Ball State in the “Heroes Game.” The Huskies will wear special jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit Active Heroes; the game will feature numerous tributes to active and veteran military, firefighters and other first responders. Game time is at 7 p.m.
Last year, the Huskies beat the Cardinals behind the rushing of quarterback Jordan Lynch. He compiled 207 yards and three touchdowns in the Huskies’ 35-23 victory Oct. 6, 2012.
The Huskies are in the midst of a perfect season (9-0) with only two more regular-season games remaining following tonight’s contest. NIU will go on the road next Wednesday, Nov. 20, to face Toledo and then wrap up the regular season back in DeKalb against Western Michigan Tuesday, Nov. 26, before competing in the Marathon Mid American Conference Championship game Friday, Dec. 6, in Detroit.
The Huskies are ranked No. 18 in the Bowl Championship Series rankings and 20th in the USA Today Coaches’ and Harris polls. They are 22nd in the Associated Press rankings. The Huskies’ 9-0 record is the school’s best since NIU entered the “Major College” ranks in 1969, and ties the 1965 team, which went 9-0 in the regular season. The last NIU team to go undefeated for the season was the 1963 squad, which claimed the NCAA College Division Championship with a 10-0 record in 1963.
The Huskies have won 22 consecutive games versus Mid-American Conference opponents dating back to Oct. 1, 2011, and own the longest conference winning streak in the country.
Northern Illinois’ 2013 senior class has won 43 games in the last four seasons to unseat its 2012 predecessors as the winningest senior class in school history. NIU is 43-8 since the start of the 2010 season, and has won 30 of its last 32 games dating back to Oct. 1, 2011.
They lead the nation with 24 consecutive victories in its home stadium dating back to 2009. The 2013 seniors have never lost a home game.
Tonight’s game can be heard on The Score (WSCR 670 AM) out of Chicago and WLBK 1360 AM & 98.9 FM (DeKalb).
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Nov. 13-19, 2013, issue