- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Avalon String Quartet at Mendelssohn Nov. 22
The Avalon String Quartet will perform at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22, at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford.
This performance will feature Mozart Quartet K 589 in Bb Major, Bartok Quartet No. 3 and Schubert Quartet D 887 in G Major. This talented group will visit Mendelssohn twice more during the 2013-14 concert season — at 7 p.m., Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, and at 7 p.m., Friday, May 23, 2014.
Described by the Chicago Tribune as “an ensemble that invites you — ears, mind and spirit — into its music,” The Avalon String Quartet has established itself as one of the country’s leading chamber music ensembles.
After residencies at the Julliard School and Indiana University South Bend, Avalon is now in residence at Northern Illinois University. The quartet features Blaise Magniere, violin; Marie Wang, violin; Anthony Devroye, viola; and Cheg-Hou Lee, cello.
In 2010, the quartet released a CD of contemporary American works on the Albany label to much critical acclaim. The Avalon Quartet’s debut CD, Dawn to Dusk, including the Ravel and the Janacek Second Quartets, was honored with the 2002 Chamber Music America/WQXR Record Award for best chamber music recording.
The quartet’s live performances and conversation are frequently featured on Chicago’s WFMT-FM, including a recent nationally-syndicated live broadcast of Exploring Music with Bill MacGlaughlin. They have also been heard on New York’s WQXR-FM and WNYC-FM, National Public Radio’s Performance Today, Canada’s CBC, Australia’s ABC, the ARD of Germany and France Musique.
Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students and can be purchased online at www.mendelssohnpac.org, by calling (815) 964-9713 or at the door. All seating is first come, first serve. A Season Subscription for the four concert series is available.
From the Nov. 20-26, 2013, issue