- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
Avalon String Quartet at Mendelssohn Nov. 22
The Avalon String Quartet will perform at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22, at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford.
This performance will feature Mozart Quartet K 589 in Bb Major, Bartok Quartet No. 3 and Schubert Quartet D 887 in G Major. This talented group will visit Mendelssohn twice more during the 2013-14 concert season — at 7 p.m., Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, and at 7 p.m., Friday, May 23, 2014.
Described by the Chicago Tribune as “an ensemble that invites you — ears, mind and spirit — into its music,” The Avalon String Quartet has established itself as one of the country’s leading chamber music ensembles.
After residencies at the Julliard School and Indiana University South Bend, Avalon is now in residence at Northern Illinois University. The quartet features Blaise Magniere, violin; Marie Wang, violin; Anthony Devroye, viola; and Cheg-Hou Lee, cello.
In 2010, the quartet released a CD of contemporary American works on the Albany label to much critical acclaim. The Avalon Quartet’s debut CD, Dawn to Dusk, including the Ravel and the Janacek Second Quartets, was honored with the 2002 Chamber Music America/WQXR Record Award for best chamber music recording.
The quartet’s live performances and conversation are frequently featured on Chicago’s WFMT-FM, including a recent nationally-syndicated live broadcast of Exploring Music with Bill MacGlaughlin. They have also been heard on New York’s WQXR-FM and WNYC-FM, National Public Radio’s Performance Today, Canada’s CBC, Australia’s ABC, the ARD of Germany and France Musique.
Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students and can be purchased online at www.mendelssohnpac.org, by calling (815) 964-9713 or at the door. All seating is first come, first serve. A Season Subscription for the four concert series is available.
From the Nov. 20-26, 2013, issue