- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Native American author to discuss Native foods Nov. 21
FREEPORT, Ill. — Award-winning author and photographer Kim Sigafus will be at the Freeport Public Library, 100 E. Douglas St., Freeport, Ill., Thursday, Nov. 21, for a Native Harvest presentation.
Sigafus is a freelance writer and photographer from Freeport, Ill., whose family is from the White Earth Indian Reservation in Minnesota. She has written several books for children and adults, which include her newest release, Native Writers. The book has been honored as a finalist for the 2012 USA Best Book Awards in the Children’s Non-Fiction category. The Native Voices series, in which the book is a part of, has been awarded a 2012 American Indian Youth Literacy Award.
At the 6:30 p.m. presentation, Sigafus will be in traditional Native American dress, and speaking about foods important to Native Americans. She will bring with her wild rice and maple syrup, and discuss recipes that are featured in her book, The Life and Times of the Ojibwa People. The Three Sisters and companion gardening will be also discussed. She will be bringing with her wild rice and turkey soup, and offering a sample to audience members. The audience will be able to see an array of Native American items up close, and hear her drum and sing a traditional Ojibwa lullaby.
Sigafus will have her books available for sale after the presentation, and she will hold a meet-and-greet book-signing afterward.
From the Nov. 20-26, 2013, issue