- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Shattered Glass performs at United Church of Byron Nov. 23
BYRON, Ill. — String ensemble Shattered Glass will perform at the United Church of Byron, 701 W. Second St., Byron, Ill., beginning at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 23. Admission is free, although a free-will offering for the musicians will be accepted.
Founded in January 2012, Shattered Glass (SG) is a conductor-less string ensemble dedicated to re-imagining the concert experience. SG is a dynamic collection of global talent, with members representing Russia, Venezuela, Korea, China, Taiwan and cities across the United States — all top young talent who came together for a common purpose: to present world-class performances. At the core of SG is a commitment to create a special relationship between audience and ensemble. Barriers typical of the classical music experience are shattered.
Members of Shattered Glass Ensemble hail from prestigious conservatories across the U.S., including New England Conservatory, The Juilliard School and The Curtis Institute of Music, but all met while attending the Manhattan School of Music. Members have performed at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center and Merkin Concert Hall, and have performed as soloists with the Korean KBS Symphony Orchestra, Sofia Symphony Orchestra and the New Jersey Philharmonic. SG members also hold positions with prestigious orchestras such as the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and the New York Philharmonic. SG’s 2012-13 season culminated in a Carnegie Hall premiere for the ensemble at Zankel Hall.
Learn more at shattered-glass.org. For more information about the Nov. 23 concert, contact Rockford Area Arts Council at (815) 963-6765 or the United Church of Byron at (815) 234-8777.
From the Nov. 20-26, 2013, issue