- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Vance Gilbert performs at Emerson House Nov. 23
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center (MPAC) presents the second concert in the “Charlotte’s Web Troubadour Series” with singer-songwriter Vance Gilbert at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 23, at the historic Emerson House on the MPAC campus, 420 N. Main St., Rockford.
Sing Out! wrote: “Gilbert is a formidable vocalist. His voice has the beauty of a choral singer, the strength and control of Broadway’s finest, the power of lead rock singers and enough play to match any comedic imitator …”
Meantime, the Montreal Gazette wrote: “On stage, Gilbert is a quintessential singer-songwriter. With a flexible voice that is expressive from a whisper to a scream, Gilbert is adept at covering all the bases …”
They forgot to mention Vance Gilbert’s side-splitting sense of humor and his charming rapport with the audience, treating all of us as invited guests, dear friends.
Join Charlotte’s Web for this “living room” concert: the warm environment of the acoustically and architecturally delicious Emerson House makes for a magical evening, filled with song, stories and laughter.
Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for students up to age 25. Tickets are available and may be purchased online at www.mendelssohnpac.org, by calling (815) 964-9713, or at the door. All seating is first come, first serve. Proceeds will benefit the musicians and the MPAC.
From the Nov. 20-26, 2013, issue