- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
AE presents magical musical for the holidays: ‘The Gifts of the Magi’
How can you have Christmas with $1.97? And what does a fellow have to do to get arrested in this town? Both questions are answered in Artists’ Ensemble Theater’s (AE) holiday offering: the enchanting musical, The Gifts of the Magi, running Dec. 6-22 in the Cheek Theatre at Rockford University.
This tuneful delight intertwines two classic O. Henry stories set in 1905 New York. Jim and Della are penniless newlyweds with no money for extras like Christmas presents. Meanwhile, Soapy Smith, a “gentlemen of leisure,” abandons his park bench to embark on a quest to spend the winter in a warm, cozy cell.
AE favorite Gary Wingert, familiar to playgoers as Jeeves, plays the irrepressible Soapy. The young lovers are played by Rockford University students Katie Kuehner and Alex Smith, both featured in last season’s Meet Me in St. Louis.
From Chicago, Adam Molloy makes his AE debut as the newsboy, Willy, while Ensemble members Carolyn Cadigan and John Chase tackle the considerable challenge of playing everyone else in New York!
Performances are Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 4 and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. Thursday tickets are $19. All other performances are $30, $28 for seniors, and $10 for students. Tickets may be purchased online at www.artistsensemble.org or by calling (815) 394-5004.
Artists’ Ensemble is an Equity professional theater performing at Rockford University.
From the Nov. 27-Dec. 3, 2013, issue