- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
AE presents magical musical for the holidays: ‘The Gifts of the Magi’
How can you have Christmas with $1.97? And what does a fellow have to do to get arrested in this town? Both questions are answered in Artists’ Ensemble Theater’s (AE) holiday offering: the enchanting musical, The Gifts of the Magi, running Dec. 6-22 in the Cheek Theatre at Rockford University.
This tuneful delight intertwines two classic O. Henry stories set in 1905 New York. Jim and Della are penniless newlyweds with no money for extras like Christmas presents. Meanwhile, Soapy Smith, a “gentlemen of leisure,” abandons his park bench to embark on a quest to spend the winter in a warm, cozy cell.
AE favorite Gary Wingert, familiar to playgoers as Jeeves, plays the irrepressible Soapy. The young lovers are played by Rockford University students Katie Kuehner and Alex Smith, both featured in last season’s Meet Me in St. Louis.
From Chicago, Adam Molloy makes his AE debut as the newsboy, Willy, while Ensemble members Carolyn Cadigan and John Chase tackle the considerable challenge of playing everyone else in New York!
Performances are Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 4 and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. Thursday tickets are $19. All other performances are $30, $28 for seniors, and $10 for students. Tickets may be purchased online at www.artistsensemble.org or by calling (815) 394-5004.
Artists’ Ensemble is an Equity professional theater performing at Rockford University.
From the Nov. 27-Dec. 3, 2013, issue