- TRRT Online Edition | May 6-12
- RRI: The Names frontman Dave Galluzzo
- Madigan sues companies of student loan debt scams
- State Roundup: Gambling expansion hearing highlights two possible bills
- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
AE presents magical musical for the holidays: ‘The Gifts of the Magi’
How can you have Christmas with $1.97? And what does a fellow have to do to get arrested in this town? Both questions are answered in Artists’ Ensemble Theater’s (AE) holiday offering: the enchanting musical, The Gifts of the Magi, running Dec. 6-22 in the Cheek Theatre at Rockford University.
This tuneful delight intertwines two classic O. Henry stories set in 1905 New York. Jim and Della are penniless newlyweds with no money for extras like Christmas presents. Meanwhile, Soapy Smith, a “gentlemen of leisure,” abandons his park bench to embark on a quest to spend the winter in a warm, cozy cell.
AE favorite Gary Wingert, familiar to playgoers as Jeeves, plays the irrepressible Soapy. The young lovers are played by Rockford University students Katie Kuehner and Alex Smith, both featured in last season’s Meet Me in St. Louis.
From Chicago, Adam Molloy makes his AE debut as the newsboy, Willy, while Ensemble members Carolyn Cadigan and John Chase tackle the considerable challenge of playing everyone else in New York!
Performances are Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 4 and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. Thursday tickets are $19. All other performances are $30, $28 for seniors, and $10 for students. Tickets may be purchased online at www.artistsensemble.org or by calling (815) 394-5004.
Artists’ Ensemble is an Equity professional theater performing at Rockford University.
From the Nov. 27-Dec. 3, 2013, issue