- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
The Children’s Holiday Shoppe opens in The Market Place Mall
Online Staff Report
The Children’s Holiday Shoppe — a Children’s Home + Aid/MotherHouse Crisis Nursery fund-raiser — opened its doors at The Market Place Mall, 5846 E. State St., next to Hancock Fabrics in Rockford, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday, Nov. 27.
The Holiday Shoppe offers an array of items priced from $1 to $8 for children to purchase for their parents, siblings and friends. The shop will be open every Tuesday and Thursday from 3 to 7 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., Dec. 3 through Dec. 21.
The Holiday Shoppe gives children an opportunity to shop for Christmas without their parents being present, providing them a sense of independence while learning valuable skills such as decision-making and money management.
Parents prepare the shopping lists and give the children a dollar amount to spend. Volunteer “Elves” escort the children, helping them pick items for individuals on their lists to ensure they stay within budget and have a gift for each individual on their list. The children wrap, tag, decorate and pay for their gifts, and then return to their parents with bundles of surprises.
Children’s Home + Aid Northern Region has its headquarters in Rockford and is devoted to serving the area’s most challenged communities. The Northern Region of Children’s Home + Aid provides services in many of the counties in northern Illinois. Services encompass the needs of the entire family, and include adoption preservation, child and family counseling, MotherHouse Crisis Nursery, Pregnancy and Early Parent Counseling, Healthy Families Illinois, foster care, and family support services. Children’s Home + Aid’s comprehensive, quality programs help children and families overcome the obstacles of poverty, abuse and neglect to achieve healthy family structures and self-sufficiency.
For more about Children’s Home + Aid and upcoming holiday events, visit www.childrenshomeandaid.org.
Posted Nov. 27, 2013