- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Karen Johnson Hurd wins Spirit of Caring Award
This year, Beloit Regional Hospice (BRH) had the privilege of awarding two Spirit of Caring Awards. The first was awarded to Bonnie Wetter at Doves and Diamonds: Celebrate Hospice, and the second was awarded at a recent BRH staff meeting where Karen Johnson Hurd marked her 20th anniversary working as the CNA coordinator.
Hurd is shown at left in photo, with BRH Executive Director Mary Anne Miller holding the award, which is given annually by BRH to an individual, organization or business that has demonstrated dedication to strengthening the hospice concept in the stateline community in an effort to improve quality of life.
Hurd has seen the organization grow and change over her 20 years of service, and throughout that time, her commitment to end-of-life care and the importance of the philosophy of “patients first” has never wavered.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue