- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
Karen Johnson Hurd wins Spirit of Caring Award
This year, Beloit Regional Hospice (BRH) had the privilege of awarding two Spirit of Caring Awards. The first was awarded to Bonnie Wetter at Doves and Diamonds: Celebrate Hospice, and the second was awarded at a recent BRH staff meeting where Karen Johnson Hurd marked her 20th anniversary working as the CNA coordinator.
Hurd is shown at left in photo, with BRH Executive Director Mary Anne Miller holding the award, which is given annually by BRH to an individual, organization or business that has demonstrated dedication to strengthening the hospice concept in the stateline community in an effort to improve quality of life.
Hurd has seen the organization grow and change over her 20 years of service, and throughout that time, her commitment to end-of-life care and the importance of the philosophy of “patients first” has never wavered.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue