- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Karen Johnson Hurd wins Spirit of Caring Award
This year, Beloit Regional Hospice (BRH) had the privilege of awarding two Spirit of Caring Awards. The first was awarded to Bonnie Wetter at Doves and Diamonds: Celebrate Hospice, and the second was awarded at a recent BRH staff meeting where Karen Johnson Hurd marked her 20th anniversary working as the CNA coordinator.
Hurd is shown at left in photo, with BRH Executive Director Mary Anne Miller holding the award, which is given annually by BRH to an individual, organization or business that has demonstrated dedication to strengthening the hospice concept in the stateline community in an effort to improve quality of life.
Hurd has seen the organization grow and change over her 20 years of service, and throughout that time, her commitment to end-of-life care and the importance of the philosophy of “patients first” has never wavered.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue