- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
Karen Johnson Hurd wins Spirit of Caring Award
This year, Beloit Regional Hospice (BRH) had the privilege of awarding two Spirit of Caring Awards. The first was awarded to Bonnie Wetter at Doves and Diamonds: Celebrate Hospice, and the second was awarded at a recent BRH staff meeting where Karen Johnson Hurd marked her 20th anniversary working as the CNA coordinator.
Hurd is shown at left in photo, with BRH Executive Director Mary Anne Miller holding the award, which is given annually by BRH to an individual, organization or business that has demonstrated dedication to strengthening the hospice concept in the stateline community in an effort to improve quality of life.
Hurd has seen the organization grow and change over her 20 years of service, and throughout that time, her commitment to end-of-life care and the importance of the philosophy of “patients first” has never wavered.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue