- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Literary Hook: Poem celebrates both Christmas and the coming of a new year
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here is a poem that celebrates both Christmas and the coming of a new year.
Unwinding the Old Year
If each ornament is a memory,
mixed blessings hanging from your tree,
handle them gently, wrapping them
in soft tissue rolled into the box
you will place in a dark basement corner.
In a dark basement corner of your mind
you can box the harder memories
for another year. They are safe
and so are you this day of new beginnings.
Another year has lent its logs to the fire.
Another year has lent its time to you.
So unwind the little lights and lay them
down like large nests, fallow for the winter.
Uncoil the snares and scars the year has wrought.
Conjure all the good from the year’s cornucopia.
From last year’s cornucopia, conjure the good.
Rewind the victories, the delicate surprises,
those things you did not expect but received
among the hard-earned bricks and mortar.
Remember what will buoy you this new year.
This new year, remember what buoys you
through the tumult and chaos that surrounds us.
Remember kindness, that uncle who loved you best.
Recall the ruby amidst the costume jewelry.
Wear it like a talisman through the shining new year.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue