- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Literary Hook: Poem celebrates both Christmas and the coming of a new year
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here is a poem that celebrates both Christmas and the coming of a new year.
Unwinding the Old Year
If each ornament is a memory,
mixed blessings hanging from your tree,
handle them gently, wrapping them
in soft tissue rolled into the box
you will place in a dark basement corner.
In a dark basement corner of your mind
you can box the harder memories
for another year. They are safe
and so are you this day of new beginnings.
Another year has lent its logs to the fire.
Another year has lent its time to you.
So unwind the little lights and lay them
down like large nests, fallow for the winter.
Uncoil the snares and scars the year has wrought.
Conjure all the good from the year’s cornucopia.
From last year’s cornucopia, conjure the good.
Rewind the victories, the delicate surprises,
those things you did not expect but received
among the hard-earned bricks and mortar.
Remember what will buoy you this new year.
This new year, remember what buoys you
through the tumult and chaos that surrounds us.
Remember kindness, that uncle who loved you best.
Recall the ruby amidst the costume jewelry.
Wear it like a talisman through the shining new year.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Dec. 11-17, 2013, issue