- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
RVC Athletics Booster Club establishes Coaches Hall of Fame
The Rock Valley College (RVC) Athletics Booster Club is establishing a Coaches Hall of Fame for RVC coaches who have been retired from the college for at least three years.
For the inaugural year, six former coaches who were instrumental in starting the athletics program at the college will be honored and inducted. There will be a special ceremony to honor these six coaches at halftime of the men’s basketball game Saturday, Dec. 14, when the Golden Eagles will take on Black Hawk College (Moline) at 3 p.m.
The following coaches being inducted:
• Chuck Behrends, men’s basketball coach (1966-1985);
• Geraldine E. “Gerry” McDermott, initiated women’s sports at RVC; coached volleyball, softball and women’s basketball (1965-1993);
• Norm Matzl, football coach (1968-1987); golf coach (1966-1967); swimming coach (1967-1969);
• Pete Lonsway, men’s tennis coach (1968-1977); football coach, defensive coordinator (1968-1977);
• Ed Delaporte III, baseball coach (1967-1989); and
• Heidi Hutchison (deceased), volleyball coach (1993-1999), NJCAA Division III national champions (1996, 1997); women’s basketball coach (1993-1996).
Posted Dec. 11, 2013