- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Aviators re-sign Bistagne, Hur, Rodriguez and Brueggemann
Online Staff Report
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Michael Hur, Brian Bistagne, Elvin Rodriguez and Kyle Brueggemann have all signed contract extensions with the Rockford Aviators pro baseball team.
After a slow start to 2013, Hur finished with a batting average of .270 while he also collected 26 extra-base hits and drove in 40 runs. Hur had primarily been a corner outfielder in his young career, but Manager James Frisbie moved him to center field late in the season, where the former Diamondbacks draft pick was outstanding.
Hur also has shown an ability to be a powerful bat in the lineup — in 2012, he hit 15 home runs and drove in 57.
Bistagne was one of the many players Frisbie brought to Rockford once he took over as manager in June. The 5-foot-11 infielder brought a veteran presence to the young team and played second base, shortstop and third base. Bistagne hit .280 through 39 games but was also hampered by an injury that forced him to miss significant time.
A rookie in 2013, Rodriguez played in 47 games for the Aviators. While he hit a home run, 20 doubles and collected 6 RBIs last season, Rodriguez was primarily a defensive asset. He played 28 games at shortstop, 26 games at third base and two games at second base.
Brueggemann has been signed to a contract extension for 2014. He joined the Aviators late in the 2013 season and became a regular out of the bullpen. The hard-throwing righty appeared in 10 games for the Aviators and pitched a total of 14 innings. While Brueggemann didn’t record a win or a loss, his ERA was just 1.29. He also struck out 19 batters. He is currently pitching for the Adelaide Bite in the Ausrtrailian Baseball League. He has started six games and holds a 2-3 record. Brueggemann has thrown a complete-game shutout as well and was named ABL Pitcher of the Week earlier in the season.
The Aviators will open the 2014 season Friday, May 16, at home against the River City Rascals at 7:05 p.m. Season ticket packages and advertising information is available by calling (815) 885-2255.
Aviators Stadium, 4503 Interstate Blvd., Loves Park, Ill., now has gaming. Hot Corner Gaming & Slots has five multi-game machines from Slot Kings and is open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy a complimentary snack or a $2 can of select Budweiser products.
Posted Dec. 23, 2013