- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Christmas tree drop-off at 13 sites
LOVES PARK, Ill. — For the 26th year, Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) has arranged for Christmas tree recycling at 13 sites in Winnebago County.
Christmas trees will be mulched at sites in Rockford, Cherry Valley, Loves Park, Machesney Park, Roscoe, Rockton and Pecatonica. Mulch will be available, first-come, first-served, while supplies last, but no later than March 1.
The stand, lights and any decorations should be removed from the tree before transporting to a drop-off site. Recyclers should leave only the tree; remove and take home the wrap used for transportation. Artificial trees, wreaths, flocked trees, tree bags and tree stands are not accepted.
Have holiday lights, power cords and other items to recycle? They may be dropped off at the KNIB recycle centers, open with volunteer staff from 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays (unless the wind chill is below zero) at both 4665 Hydraulic Drive, Rockford, and 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe.
Sponsors enable KNIB to make the mulch available to all. Thanks to the City of Rockford; City of Loves Park; villages of Cherry Valley, Machesney Park, Pecatonica, Rockton and Roscoe; Harlem Township; Lincoln Rent-All; Trans Environmental; Williams Tree Farm; Valley View Farms; Winnebago County Forest Preserve; and media sponsors Comcast and The Rock River Times.
2014 KNIB Christmas tree recycling locations include the following:
Rockford: Alpine Park, 950 S. Alpine Road; Andrews Park, 800 N. Central Ave.; Blackhawk Park, 100 — 15th Ave.; Don Schmid Youth Sports Center, Riverdahl Park off Sandy Hollow; Gambino Park, 4400 block of Pepper Drive west of North Alpine Road; Levings Lake, entrance off Johnston Avenue.
Cherry Valley: Baumann Park, entrance on South Walnut.
Loves Park: Martin Park, lot on Park Ridge Road off Riverside Boulevard.
Machesney Park: behind Village Hall, 300 Machesney Road.
Rockton: Boat ramp parking lot off Hononegah Road, and Williams Tree Farm, 4661 Yale Bridge Road.
Roscoe: Valley View Farms, 6440 Belvidere Road.
Pecatonica: Pecatonica Wetlands Forest Preserve, near picnic area, 4550 N. Pecatonica Road.
For more about Christmas tree recycling, the Saturday recycle centers and other programs of the environmental non-profit, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, “like” Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful on Facebook, visit www.knib.org or call (815) 637-1343.
From the Dec. 25-31, 2013, issue