- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
DeKalb County Community Gardens needs your support
I know we all get many end-of-the-year appeals for donations. However, I really believe in the work of this organization — so much so, in fact, I am a board member.
The DeKalb County Community Gardens (DCCG) strengthens access to fresh, local, sustainably-grown organic food for people in need. The organization has raised more than 16,000 pounds of food for pantries, senior centers, day care centers, community meal sites, and others who are struggling with food insecurity.
DCCG needs your financial support now. It is time to order seeds and plants for next growing season. Also, DCCG is expanding to the southern end of the county and will be reaching even more people who are hungry. Also in 2014, DCCG, with the help of volunteers, will be planting berry bushes, small and large fruit and nut trees,as they create a forest garden and a community orchard. DCCG will also be raising food on more than 15 acres, all with sustainable natural farming methods.
So, please consider making as large a donation as you can to the great work of DCCG. Together, we can close the food gap in our county and make sure everyone has access to sustainably-grown organic food.
Make tax-deductible check to: DeKalb County Community Gardens or DCCG, mail to P.O. Box 348, DeKalb IL 60115.
Thank you for planting a seed.
DeKalb County Community Gardens board member
From the Jan. 1-6, 2014, issue