- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Discovery Center hosts New Year’s Eve celebration for families
Rockford’s Discovery Center Museum will host a kid-style New Year’s Eve party from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 31.
Science, games, music, crafts and art come together as Discovery Center counts down to midnight — somewhere in the world — at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. during “Countdown to Fun!”
Ring in the New Year with music from Kantorei, the Singing Boys of Rockford. And no New Year’s Eve party would be complete without hats, confetti and party favors to add to the festivities.
Performance times are as follow:
• Confetti drop countdowns: 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
• Kantorei sings: 1 and 2 p.m.
• Science demonstrations: 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.
• Planetarium shows: Noon and 2:30 p.m.
Cost (except planetarium shows) is included with admission to Discovery Center — $8 adults; $8 children ages 2-17; and free for Discovery Center members and children age 1 and younger. Planetarium shows are $1 for the public and 50 cents for members. Don’t miss the “Build It! Make It!” exhibit, running through Jan. 5. Admission to “Build It! Make It!” is free for members and $2 for the public.
Discovery Center will be open normal hours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 1.
Discovery Center Museum is a nonprofit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hand-on exhibits, planetarium, special area for children younger than 5, and an outdoor science park. Discovery Center is rated the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of the top 12 children’s museums in the nation by Forbes.com.
The museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily. Call (815) 963-6769 or log on to www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the Jan. 1-6, 2014, issue