- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
Discovery Center hosts New Year’s Eve celebration for families
Rockford’s Discovery Center Museum will host a kid-style New Year’s Eve party from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 31.
Science, games, music, crafts and art come together as Discovery Center counts down to midnight — somewhere in the world — at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. during “Countdown to Fun!”
Ring in the New Year with music from Kantorei, the Singing Boys of Rockford. And no New Year’s Eve party would be complete without hats, confetti and party favors to add to the festivities.
Performance times are as follow:
• Confetti drop countdowns: 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
• Kantorei sings: 1 and 2 p.m.
• Science demonstrations: 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.
• Planetarium shows: Noon and 2:30 p.m.
Cost (except planetarium shows) is included with admission to Discovery Center — $8 adults; $8 children ages 2-17; and free for Discovery Center members and children age 1 and younger. Planetarium shows are $1 for the public and 50 cents for members. Don’t miss the “Build It! Make It!” exhibit, running through Jan. 5. Admission to “Build It! Make It!” is free for members and $2 for the public.
Discovery Center will be open normal hours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 1.
Discovery Center Museum is a nonprofit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hand-on exhibits, planetarium, special area for children younger than 5, and an outdoor science park. Discovery Center is rated the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of the top 12 children’s museums in the nation by Forbes.com.
The museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily. Call (815) 963-6769 or log on to www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the Jan. 1-6, 2014, issue