Be on the lookout for “random acts of snow sculpting” going on throughout the community. Signs may start appearing outside Rockford Park District facilities and other area locations as a way to encourage the community to create their own snow masterpiece.
The Environmental Education and Recreation Team of the Rockford Park District is behind the snow sculptures to raise awareness of the Fourth Annual Community Snow Sculpting Contest.
In conjunction with the 28th Annual Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition, individuals, families, businesses and area organizations are invited to have some fun outdoors building a snow sculpture.
Following is how to enter:
1. Send entry form found on ilsnowsculpting.com/communitysnowsculpting with a photo attached to email@example.com by Jan. 13, 2014.
2. Deliver form found on ilsnowsculpting.com/communitysnowsculpting and printed photo to Rockford Park District Customer Service locations at either Webbs Norman Center, 401 S. Main St., Rockford, or Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Road, Loves Park, Ill., by Jan. 13, 2014. Guidelines are as follow:
• Open to individuals, organizations and businesses;
• Must never have entered a professional snow sculpting competition;
• Sculpture must be built on front or back yard property;
• Sculpture must be a minimum of 3 feet in height;
• Props allowed, but 75 percent of creation must be visible snow (Prop examples: brooms, carrots, scarves, etc.);
• Photo must include the sculptor(s), and will not be returned;
• No power tools can be used to create sculpture;
• Colors and internal supports are allowed; and
• All entries will be posted on Facebook.com/ilsnowsculpting.
Everyone who enters and submits a photo will be entered into a drawing to receive one of five Rockford Park District sampler packages.
The BEST sculpture will be selected by a Rockford Park District jury to receive a grand prize of an RPD Sampler Package, plus four free Magic Waters tickets and four free tube rentals. All winners will be contacted by Jan. 14, 2014, and announced at the Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition awards ceremony Jan. 18, 2014.
Contact Atwood Center by calling (815) 874-7576 (TTY, 888-871-6171) or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Jan. 1-6, 2014, issue