- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
- Mayors decry local funding cut proposal, say expect cuts to services
- Senate rejects bill to ban smoking in cars with children present
- Mayors warn of critical cuts if funds are reduced
- Rebuilding Rockford
Final weekend for ‘Build It! Make It!’ exhibition at Rockford’s Discovery Center
Online Staff Report
Don’t miss your final opportunity to experience the “Build It! Make It!” exhibition as Discovery Center visitors design, invent and construct whatever they can dream up!
This exhibition is a way for children and families to play with ideas, explore materials and tinker with tools. Closing weekend is Jan. 4-5.
Discovery Center has provided a myriad of building toys and materials, from LEGOs, K’Nex and Lincoln Logs, to cardboard and giant foam blocks. And that’s just the “Build It” side of this creative construction zone. Part of this exhibition space is also devoted to tinkering. The “Make It” areas provide opportunities for children of all ages to explore, invent, fix and construct using real materials and real tools.
Home Depot will conduct a drop-in workshop at Discovery Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 4. Home Depot Workshops are included with admission to the exhibit … free for members and $10 for the public (includes Discovery Center general admission). No workshop registrations will be taken; projects are on a first come, first serve basis.
Discovery Center Museum is a non-profit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hand-on exhibits. The museum is ranked the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museums in the U.S.”
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily. For additional information, call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted Jan. 3, 2014