- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
No garbage collection in Rockford Jan. 6 because of extreme cold, plus list of warming centers
Online Staff Report
Garbage collection in the city of Rockford scheduled for Monday, Jan. 6, has been suspended as a result of extreme cold temperatures.
Collection is scheduled to resume Tuesday, Jan. 7, with residents’ regular collection day being delayed one day throughout the remainder of the week.
Christmas trees may be placed for disposal along with the normal refuse starting this week and continuing until Thursday, Jan. 30. Residents are reminded to remove all decorations and lighting.
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) will again be conducting its annual Christmas Tree Recycling effort at 13 locations throughout Winnebago County from Jan. 15 to Jan. 30. For further information, visit www.KNIB.org or call at (815) 637-1343.
The forecast in Rockford for the remainder of the week is as follows:
• Monday — High: -11; Low: -20;
• Tuesday — High: 5; Low: -9;
• Wednesday — High: 9; Low: -4;
• Thursday — High: 22; Low: 19; and
• Friday — High: 36; Low: 33; with ice pellets.
Posted Jan. 6, 2014