- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
‘Best Picture’ film series starts Jan. 14 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
DEKALB, Ill. — The Egyptian Theatre in DeKalb, Ill., is partnering with Northern Illinois University (NIU) to bring the community a film series featuring “Best Picture” films through the decades. The series begins with All Quiet on the Western Front at 7 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 14.
Starting when the theater opened in 1929, Academy Award-winning Best Picture films were chosen each decade to create this film series. The Egyptian Theatre and NIU partnered together in the spring of 2013 to present the AFI Top 10 film series with great success. This film series in 2014 will run every week leading up to the Academy Awards ceremony in early March.
Following is the full schedule of movie dates and times in the “Best Picture” series:
Jan. 14 — All Quiet on the Western Front, 7 p.m.;
Jan. 21 — It Happened One Night, 7 p.m.;
Jan. 28 — Casablanca, 7 p.m.;
Feb. 4 — An American in Paris, 7 p.m.;
Feb. 8 — Sound of Music, 1 and 7 p.m.;
Feb. 11 — Annie Hall, 7 p.m.;
Feb. 18 — Amadeus, 7 p.m.; and
Feb. 25 — Shakespeare in Love, 7 p.m.
Ticket prices for the films are $7 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. A discounted ticket package is also available for admission to all eight films with pricing at $42 for adults and $30 for students and seniors. All tickets are available through the Egyptian Theatre Box Office in advance online, in person, or over the phone. Tickets will also be available when doors open 30 minutes prior to each film.
In addition to the film showings, NIU Faculty will lead post-film discussions with those in attendance. Some of the NIU faculty involved are Scott Balcerzak, Randy Casperen, Jeffrey Chown, Lara Crowley, Brian Hart, Timothy Ryan, Robert Schneider, Lois Self and Robert T. Self.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.egyptiantheatre.org. Become a Friend of the Egyptian and receive free movie tickets, discounts on concessions, advanced ticket purchasing for select shows and 10 percent off at participating downtown DeKalb restaurants.
The Egyptian Theatre is operated by the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization Preservation of Egyptian Theatre, Inc., and is at 135 N. Second St., downtown DeKalb, Ill.
Posted Jan. 8, 2014