- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
‘Let’s Move, We Choose Health’ Jan. 11 at Discovery Center
To start the year off on a healthy note, Rockford’s Discovery Center is teaming up with local experts for the high-energy event “Let’s Move, We Choose Health” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 11.
Sample yummy grains courtesy of Great Harvest Bread Company; try some yogurt with fruit or ice cream in a bag thanks to the Mid-West Dairymen’s Association; and eat yummy fruits and vegetables courtesy of the University of Illinois Extension.
Meet the folks from Angelic Organics and learn how things go from fibers to fabrics. Master gardeners will talk about growing plants in different conditions.
Get a mini check-up from medical students at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, and get your body on the go with Zumba. Participants can even make their own paper from seeds and plastic from corn with help from the Winnebago/Boone Ag in the Classroom program.
No registration is required. The event is included with museum admission: $8 adults, and $8 children ages 2-17.
The event is tied to state and national campaigns for healthy living. Let’s Move! is a national campaign spearheaded by Michelle Obama to end childhood obesity in the United States. We Choose Health is a multi-year Illinois Department of Public Health initiative funded by the Affordable Care Act to encourage and support the implementation of proactive health programs.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily.
For more information, call the museum at (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted Jan. 8, 2014