- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
‘Let’s Move, We Choose Health’ Jan. 11 at Discovery Center
To start the year off on a healthy note, Rockford’s Discovery Center is teaming up with local experts for the high-energy event “Let’s Move, We Choose Health” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 11.
Sample yummy grains courtesy of Great Harvest Bread Company; try some yogurt with fruit or ice cream in a bag thanks to the Mid-West Dairymen’s Association; and eat yummy fruits and vegetables courtesy of the University of Illinois Extension.
Meet the folks from Angelic Organics and learn how things go from fibers to fabrics. Master gardeners will talk about growing plants in different conditions.
Get a mini check-up from medical students at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, and get your body on the go with Zumba. Participants can even make their own paper from seeds and plastic from corn with help from the Winnebago/Boone Ag in the Classroom program.
No registration is required. The event is included with museum admission: $8 adults, and $8 children ages 2-17.
The event is tied to state and national campaigns for healthy living. Let’s Move! is a national campaign spearheaded by Michelle Obama to end childhood obesity in the United States. We Choose Health is a multi-year Illinois Department of Public Health initiative funded by the Affordable Care Act to encourage and support the implementation of proactive health programs.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily.
For more information, call the museum at (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted Jan. 8, 2014