- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
‘Let’s Move, We Choose Health’ Jan. 11 at Discovery Center
To start the year off on a healthy note, Rockford’s Discovery Center is teaming up with local experts for the high-energy event “Let’s Move, We Choose Health” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 11.
Sample yummy grains courtesy of Great Harvest Bread Company; try some yogurt with fruit or ice cream in a bag thanks to the Mid-West Dairymen’s Association; and eat yummy fruits and vegetables courtesy of the University of Illinois Extension.
Meet the folks from Angelic Organics and learn how things go from fibers to fabrics. Master gardeners will talk about growing plants in different conditions.
Get a mini check-up from medical students at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, and get your body on the go with Zumba. Participants can even make their own paper from seeds and plastic from corn with help from the Winnebago/Boone Ag in the Classroom program.
No registration is required. The event is included with museum admission: $8 adults, and $8 children ages 2-17.
The event is tied to state and national campaigns for healthy living. Let’s Move! is a national campaign spearheaded by Michelle Obama to end childhood obesity in the United States. We Choose Health is a multi-year Illinois Department of Public Health initiative funded by the Affordable Care Act to encourage and support the implementation of proactive health programs.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily.
For more information, call the museum at (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted Jan. 8, 2014