- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Literary Hook: ‘This January’: A poem for the season
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
The following poem celebrates January. Enjoy!
Magenta sunset points like a pine tree
from the corner of my bedroom window.
All is quiet here this January.
Kitty snuggles up against my pillow.
Dusk brings beauty even in the winter
when stars begin to hang like icicles.
The indigo night begins to enter
and softly from its corner tickles
Venus and Saturn near the ringed moon.
Come O winter night to bless our slumber.
From your vast horizon may silence croon.
Let our dear dreams serve to unencumber.
O chilly winter rise and cast your spell.
In your long night of perfect sleep we dwell.
Christine Swanberg is a local author. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award in 2012.
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue